September 30, 2012
Yummy coleslaw (vegan)
2 tablespoons walnut halves or raw cashew nuts
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 dessert apple, quartered, cored and chopped (leave the skin on)
1 small onion, chopped finely
2 large carrots, peeled and grated (largest grater holes)
1/2 small pointed or white cabbage, shredded finely
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
3 tablespoons olive oil
juice of a lemon
1 clove garlic, chopped roughly
2 heaped tablespoons ground almonds
1/2 block silken tofu
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the apple in the lemon juice, in a large mixing bowl, to stop it going brown.
- Toast the nuts in a dry frying pan, gently, until they change colour. Be very careful not to burn, as they go bitter very quickly.
- Mix the onion, cabbage and carrot together with the lemony apple.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Blend the dressing ingredients together until a smooth mayonnaise like consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning - you may need more lemon or olive oil.
- When the walnuts have cooled, chop them roughly, and add to the salad.
- Toss well in the dressing until everything is coated.
- This will keep for a couple of days in the fridge, and is delicious with veggie sausages.
Posted by glittrgirl at September 30, 2012 1:16 PM
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)